Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Sword

About two months ago I was reading a flier from my local Christian book store that had a blurb about "The Sword" in it.

"This novel poses the question, if a society had no knowledge of Christianity, and then a Bible were discovered, what would happen?"

The whole premise of this book really got me thinking...what would it be like to live in a culture where no one has read the Bible? Obviously there are "unreached" people groups in the world that have not read the Bible as it has not been taught or translated into their native tongue. But what if no one has knowledge of the powerful teachings and wisdom found within?

Book Description: From Crossway Books
Four hundred years after a deadly virus and nuclear war destroyed the modern world, a new and noble civilization emerges. In this kingdom, called Chiveis, snowcapped mountains provide protection, and fields and livestock provide food. The people live medieval-style lives, with almost no knowledge of the "ancient" world. Safe in their natural stronghold, the Chiveisi have everything they need, even their own religion. Christianity has been forgotten—until a young army scout comes across a strange book.

When I started reading "The Sword" by Bryan Litfin, I didn't realize that this would be a trilogy. (Alas...I guess I have two more books I'll be reading! I always do this to myself - case in point...Hunger Games, Blackout...)

Overall I found the novel to be an enjoyable read. The characters are fantastic and the kingdom and land described create for an epic setting. I found myself trying to determine where in the world the story is unfolding as there are small clues left throughout the book. The villain of the book is larger than life - she is truly one scary woman! I kept envisioning a Angelia Jolie-type actress every time I read a scene with the High Priestess of Astrebril in it.

The story has adventure, revenge, romance, grief, hope, evil, friendship, etc. Nearly everything you'd expect in an epic-like book. My only criticism is that it probably could have been about fifty pages shorter. There were a few scenes that slowed things down a bit, but nothing that would prevent me from recommending the book or reading the next installments.

One of the huge takeaways I have from reading "The Sword" is an admiration for the sheer amount of faith the two main characters - Ana and Teo - have to not back down and deny their faith in "Deu" (God as we know him in Judeo-Christian circles.) I found it inspiring that a future people could feel so drawn to an unknown God simply by the words found in Holy scripture. Really convicting for me to keep up with my daily reading in scripture.

To recap:

Worth reading: Yes

Worth buying my own copy: No (love your local library)

Recommend to friends: Yes, those who like fantasy/history

Stars: 4 out of 5

"The Sword" Web site:

2 comments:

Terra said...

This book has an interesting premise; thanks for sharing your review here. The cover is gorgeous.

Jan von Harz said...

Love the premise, very unique, and I love the setting. Definitely want to check it out. Thanks for the review