Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What Makes a Book Literary?

I subscribe to "DailyWritingTips" and I thought today's post was very interesting. Made me think a bit and consider whether I have enough "literary" prose in my life.

Part of the article cited several books that have had recent appeal with mass audiences, but could be on their way to be considered "classics."

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd
The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold
The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood

I haven't read any of these...any of you? Any worth reading?

Also, what is your favorite "literary" novel (old school...not "modern")? Mine is probably East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

No comments: